These are a classic Rhode Island treat. So delicious in a soft sub-roll with a little salt on top. My toddler loves to dip chips in it too. This can also be cooked in a slow cooker.
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 pounds ground beef
- 4 green bell peppers, chopped
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes (Optional)
Heat the oil in a saucepan over medium-high heat; cook the onion in the hot oil until tender, about 5 minutes. Add the ground beef, bell peppers, tomatoes, tomato sauce, tomato paste, and red pepper flakes to the saucepan; stir.
Reduce heat to medium-low; simmer until the peppers are soft and the beef is tender, 4 to 6 hours.
Prep time: 15 mins / Cooking time: 4 hrs 5 mins / Total time: 4 hrs 20 mins
Serving: 6 / Yield: 6 servings