Falafel made with canned chickpeas – just like the ones you taste in a Greek restaurant. Makes about 12 patties. Serve with hummus or tzatziki sauce.
- 1 ½ (15 ounce) cans chickpeas, drained
- 1 ½ onions, chopped
- ¾ cup chopped fresh parsley
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 eggs
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 ½ teaspoons ground coriander
- 1 ½ teaspoons salt
- 1 ½ teaspoons lemon juice
- 1 ½ teaspoons baking powder
- 1 pinch ground black pepper, or to taste
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper, or to taste
- 1 ½ cups bread crumbs
- 1 tablespoon olive oil, or as needed
Mash chickpeas in a bowl using a masher. Combine mashed chickpeas, onions, parsley, and garlic in a blender and blend until smooth.
Mix eggs, cumin, coriander, salt, lemon juice, baking powder, black pepper, and cayenne together in a bowl. Add chickpea mixture and mix together. Add bread crumbs slowly and combine using your hands until mixture isn’t sticky, but will hold together when frying.
Heat oil over medium-high heat in a skillet. Form mixture into about 12 patties about as wide as the palm of your hand. Fry patties in the hot oil until browned, 3 to 4 minutes per side.
Prep time: 20 mins / Cooking time: 10 mins / Total time: 30 mins
Serving: 12 / Yield: 12 patties