In France, we make ratatouille all year round and serve it with white rice, or as a side dish for fish or meat. It is naturally vegan and tastes especially good with sun-ripened vegetables.
- ½ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 large onions, quartered
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 pounds fresh tomatoes, quartered
- 3 eggplants, sliced into 1/2-inch rounds
- 6 zucchini, sliced 1/2-inch thick
- ½ cup tomato puree (Optional)
- 3 tablespoons herbes de Provence
- salt and ground black pepper to taste
Pour olive oil into a large pot over high heat. Add onions and garlic and saute for 2 minutes. Reduce heat and add tomatoes, eggplants, zucchini, tomato puree, herbes de Provence, salt, and pepper. Cover and simmer for 30 minutes.
Uncover and check the level of liquid in the pot. Continue cooking for 30 minutes, uncovered if there is too much liquid, or covered if the amount of liquid looks right.
Prep time: 15 mins / Cooking time: 1 hr 5 mins / Total time: 1 hr 20 mins
Serving: 6 / Yield: 6 servings