Another form of bruschetta, this is a great low calorie and healthy appetizer. Serve bruschetta-style, on toasted French bread and topped with Parmesan cheese. Caponata can be frozen in resealable bags or in pint jars.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 Japanese eggplant, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can fire-roasted tomatoes (such as Hunt’s®)
- ⅓ cup red wine
- 1 ½ tablespoons capers
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1 teaspoon unsweetened cocoa powder
- ½ teaspoon white sugar
- 1 bay leaf
Heat olive oil in a skillet over medium-high heat; saute eggplant, onion, and garlic until lightly browned, 5 to 7 minutes. Add tomatoes, red wine, and capers and simmer until heated through, about 5 minutes.
Mix oregano, cinnamon, allspice, cocoa powder, sugar, and bay leaf into eggplant mixture; simmer until thickened, 30 minutes. Add a few tablespoons water if mixture becomes too thick. Remove bay leaf.
Prep time: 15 mins / Cooking time: 40 mins / Total time: 55 mins
Serving: 12 / Yield: 2 pints