I came up with this recipe while at a friend’s house but decided to make it vegetarian. The hearty vegetables and fresh lime juice make it delicious and certain to please vegetarians and meat-eaters alike.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 cups orzo pasta
- 1 zucchini, peeled and shredded
- 1 carrot, peeled and shredded
- 1 (16 ounce) can stewed tomatoes, undrained
- 1 (14 ounce) can vegetable broth
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon dried basil leaves
- salt and black pepper to taste
- ¼ cup chopped green onions
- ¼ cup chopped fresh parsley
- 2 teaspoons grated lime zest
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- ½ cup grated Parmesan cheese for topping
Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Stir in the garlic and orzo pasta; cook and stir until pasta turns a light, golden color, about 5 minutes. Stir in zucchini and carrots; cook until vegetables soften, about 2 minutes. Stir in the tomatoes, vegetable broth, Italian seasoning, and basil. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Reduce heat to medium. Cover, and simmer until almost all liquid is absorbed, about 10 minutes. Stir in the green onions, parsley, lime zest, and lime juice. Remove from heat, cool slightly, and serve sprinkled with Parmesan cheese.
Prep time: 35 mins / Cooking time: 17 mins / Total time: 52 mins
Serving: 4 / Yield: 4 servings
Anne R. Jacinto is an engaging writer with a zest for blending literary insight with digital trends. Keen on research, she delves into global events and the stories behind influential figures, offering readers a glimpse into the lives of celebrities worldwide.