A simple and delicious way to serve sausage and peppers with a tomato-based sauce. This is one of my husband’s and kids’ favorite meals. They like it served over rice because it makes a lot of ‘gravy’ that soaks into the rice. It ‘s one of my favorites because it’s quick, easy, and has only a few ingredients that I usually have on hand.
- 7 sweet Italian sausages, or more to taste, removed from the casings and cut into bite-size pieces
- 1 tablespoon olive oil, or more to taste
- 1 large sweet onion, halved and sliced
- 2 (14.5 ounce) cans tomato sauce
- 3 green bell peppers, sliced
Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C). Spread sausage pieces into a baking dish.
Bake sausage in preheated oven until heated through, about 20 minutes.
Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Saute onion in oil until translucent, 5 to 7 minutes.
Stir sausage with the onion. Pour tomato sauce over the sausage mixture; bring to a simmer and cook for 20 minutes.
Stir bell pepper into the mixture to coat in tomato sauce; cook until the bell pepper is tender, about 20 minutes more.
Prep time: 10 mins / Cooking time: 1 hr 5 mins / Total time: 1 hr 15 mins
Serving: 6 / Yield: 6 servings