This is a hearty bread. Mix it in the bread machine (or stand mixer) but bake it in the oven. I recommend baking in the oven instead of the machine because the loaf is fuller and the top is much nicer. I hope you enjoy it.
- 1 ¼ cups warm water (110 degrees F/45 degrees C)
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 ½ tablespoons molasses
- 1 ½ cups unbleached bread flour
- 1 cup rye flour
- ½ cup whole wheat flour
- ¼ cup vital wheat gluten
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons dry milk powder (Optional)
- 2 teaspoons instant coffee powder
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 tablespoon caraway seed
- 1 ½ teaspoons active dry yeast
Place ingredients into the pan of the bread machine in the order suggested by the manufacturer. Select Whole Wheat cycle, and Start.
After the first rise, remove dough from the machine. Shape, and place into a lightly oiled 9×5-inch loaf pan. Cover, and let rise for 1 hour.
Bake at 350 degrees C (175 degrees C) for 45 minutes. Remove from oven, remove from pan, and let cool completely on wire rack before slicing.
Prep time: 25 mins / Cooking time: 45 mins / Total time: 3 hrs 40 mins
Serving: 12 / Yield: 1 1.5 pound loaf
Anne R. Jacinto is an engaging writer with a zest for blending literary insight with digital trends. Keen on research, she delves into global events and the stories behind influential figures, offering readers a glimpse into the lives of celebrities worldwide.