When it’s just my husband and I–and we’re craving a nice, warm, comforting dessert–this apple crisp fits the bill every time! It’s relatively easy to make, is on the healthier side, and tastes great, too!
- 2 small tart apples, cored and thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons pure maple syrup
- ½ teaspoon lemon juice
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ⅛ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- ⅛ teaspoon ground allspice
- 1 pinch salt
- 2 tablespoons rolled oats
- 2 tablespoons whole wheat flour
- 1 tablespoon pure maple syrup
- ¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter, softened
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Lightly grease two 8-oz ramekins and place them on a baking sheet.
Combine apples, maple syrup, lemon juice, vanilla extract, cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice, and salt for the filling in a bowl; toss until thoroughly mixed. Divide mixture between the prepared ramekins.
Combine oats, flour, maple syrup, cinnamon, and salt for the topping in a bowl; mix until thoroughly combined. Cut in softened butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Sprinkle crumb topping evenly on top of the filling in the ramekins.
Place baking sheet with ramekins into the preheated oven and bake until apples are tender and the topping is slightly browned, 25 to 30 minutes. Cool for 10 to 15 minutes before serving.
Prep time: 15 mins / Cooking time: 25 mins / Total time: 50 mins
Serving: 2 / Yield: 2 8-ounce apple crisps