Makes a great veggie main meal!
- 1 eggplant, cut into 1 inch cubes
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 5 cloves garlic, chopped
- ½ cup Basmati rice
- 1 zucchini, cut into large chunks
- 1 large red bell pepper, chopped
- 3 fresh tomatoes, diced
- 1 cup Marsala wine
- 1 ½ cups water
- ½ teaspoon salt, or to taste
- ¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- ¼ cup chopped fresh basil
- ¼ cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1 sprig fresh rosemary, chopped
Place eggplant in a colander and sprinkle with salt.
Heat olive oil in a Dutch oven or large pot. Rinse eggplant and pat dry. Saute until slightly browned. Stir in onion and saute until transparent. Stir in garlic and saute for 2 to 3 minutes.
Stir in rice, zucchini, red bell pepper, tomatoes, wine, water, salt and red pepper flakes. Cook over medium-high heat until mixture reaches a low boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 45 minutes, or until vegetables are tender.
Remove from heat and stir in basil, parsley and rosemary.
Prep time: 20 mins / Cooking time: 1 hr / Total time: 1 hr 20 mins
Serving: 4 / Yield: 4 servings