My grandmother always fixed this for special occasions and it was always a hit. It takes the southern zucchini casserole dish and adds a Mexican flair.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 pound zucchini, sliced
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 small green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 (7 ounce) can diced green chiles, drained
- 4 hard-cooked eggs, chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ⅛ teaspoon cayenne pepper, or to taste
- 2 cups sour cream
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 6 (6 inch) corn tortillas, cut into wedges
- 3 cups shredded Cheddar cheese
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
Heat olive oil in a large skillet; cook and stir zucchini, onion, and bell pepper in hot oil until tender, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in green chiles, eggs, salt, cumin, garlic powder, and cayenne pepper; set aside. Mix sour cream and flour in a bowl.
Layer half the corn tortillas in a 9×13-inch baking dish. Spread half the zucchini mixture and half the sour cream mixture on top; sprinkle with half the Cheddar cheese. Repeat the layers.
Bake in preheated oven until cheese is melted, about 30 minutes.
Prep time: 20 mins / Cooking time: 35 mins / Total time: 55 mins
Serving: 12 / Yield: 12 servings