This oven-fried eggplant is a delicious alternative to deep-fried eggplant; easy and quick to make in the oven! Came up with this idea when looking for an easier way to make this family dish.
- olive oil, divided
- 2 cups dry unseasoned bread crumbs
- ½ cup grated Parmesan cheese, or more to taste
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder, or to taste
- ¼ teaspoon dried oregano, or to taste
- ¼ teaspoon dried basil, or to taste
- salt and ground black pepper to taste
- 2 eggs
- 1 splash water
- 1 eggplant, peeled and sliced into 1/4-inch rounds
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil; coat with about 1 teaspoon olive oil.
Combine bread crumbs, Parmesan cheese, garlic powder, oregano, basil, salt, and pepper in a shallow dish.
Combine eggs with a splash of water in a separate shallow dish. Coat both sides of an eggplant slice with the egg mixture. Dip eggplant slice in the bread crumb mixture to coat. Place slice onto the baking sheet. Repeat coating the remaining eggplant slices. Drizzle remaining 2 teaspoons olive oil over the breaded slices.
Bake in the preheated oven until golden brown, 20 to 25 minutes.
Prep time: 20 mins / Cooking time: 20 mins / Total time: 40 mins
Serving: 4 / Yield: 4 servings