This is a halibut, mango, and papaya salad recipe that is fresh and light, especially for the spring season which will soon be upon us. Doesn’t take a lot of prep time with exception of marinating the fish. Can be done ahead and kept in the fridge for at least 2 days. Salad dressing as you will see is very easy and is so delicious and light. Add fresh garlic bread or breadsticks and a glass of wine (Chardonnay, Sauvignon Blanc). The combination of the citrus dressing and the fruit and dill proves to be a delicious marriage of fruit and herbs. Enjoy.
- 4 (4 ounce) fillets halibut
- kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- ½ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 cup orange juice
- ½ medium lemon, juiced
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon chopped garlic
- ¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh dill
- 1 (8 ounce) package mixed salad greens
- 1 cup sliced baby bella mushrooms
- 1 medium mango – peeled, seeded and diced
- 1 medium papaya – peeled, seeded and cubed
- ½ small red onion, chopped
- 3 slices cooked bacon, chopped
- 3 tablespoons crumbled feta cheese
- 2 cups Italian-style salad dressing
- 1 cup freshly squeezed orange juice
- 1 tablespoon honey
Pat halibut dry and season with salt and pepper. Combine oil, orange juice, lemon juice, honey, Italian seasoning, garlic, and red pepper flakes in a glass or ceramic bowl for marinade with a whisk to make sure it is well blended. Add halibut and let marinate for 45 minutes to 1 hour.
Preheat an outdoor grill for medium-high heat and lightly oil the grate. Remove fish from marinade and shake off excess. Discard the remaining marinade.
Cook halibut on the preheated grill horizontally for 5 to 7 minutes. Flip and cook vertically for perfect grill marks until it springs back with a mild resistance and flakes easily with a fork, 5 to 7 minutes more; be careful not to overcook. Remove from grill and sprinkle with fresh dill.
Combine salad greens, mushrooms, mango, papaya, onion, bacon, and feta cheese in a bowl.
Whisk salad dressing, orange juice, and honey for dressing together in another bowl. Pour over salad and toss to coat. Serve with grilled halibut.
Prep time: 20 mins / Cooking time: 10 mins / Total time: 1 hr 15 mins
Serving: 4 / Yield: 4 servings