A creamy and cheesy casserole with summer squash, zucchini, spinach, mushrooms and a buttery cracker crumb topping. It is so cheesy and yummy that you almost forget you’re eating vegetables… Worked on my kids, anyway! They couldn’t get enough.
- 2 tablespoons butter, divided
- 2 cups thinly sliced zucchini
- 2 cups thinly sliced yellow squash
- 1 (8 ounce) package baby bella mushrooms, sliced
- 1 small white onion, thinly sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced, or more to taste
- 1 (5 ounce) package baby spinach leaves
- 2 cups crushed buttery round crackers (such as Ritz®)
- ½ cup butter, melted
- 2 plum tomatoes, seeded and thinly sliced (Optional)
- 1 (4 ounce) jar diced pimento peppers, drained
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- ¼ cup sliced green onion
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- ½ teaspoon dried basil
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 cup shredded sharp Cheddar cheese
- 1 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C).
Melt 1 tablespoon butter in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add zucchini and yellow squash; cover and cook, stirring occasionally, until soft, 6 to 10 minutes. Drain and set aside.
Melt 1 tablespoon butter in another large saucepan. Add mushrooms, onion, and garlic; cook and stir until onion starts to soften, about 5 minutes. Add spinach and saute until wilted, 2 to 3 minutes.
Mix crackers with 1/2 cup melted butter in a medium bowl.
Combine squash mixture, mushroom mixture, tomatoes, pimento peppers, mayonnaise, green onion, oregano, basil, salt, and pepper in a large bowl. Mix well.
Layer 1/2 of the squash mixture in a large casserole dish. Cover with 1/2 of the Cheddar and Parmesan cheeses. Top with 1/2 of the cracker crumbs. Layer remaining squash mixture, cheese, and cracker crumbs on top.
Bake in the preheated oven until cheese is bubbly and cracker crumbs are browned, 20 to 30 minutes.
Prep time: 35 mins / Cooking time: 35 mins / Total time: 1 hr 10 mins
Serving: 10 / Yield: 10 servings